Reading problems can affect any part of the reading process, including difficulty with accurate or fluent word recognition, word decoding, information processing, reading rate, and reading comprehension. Common indicators of reading disability include:
- difficulty with phonemic awareness (the ability to break up words into their component sounds)
- difficulty with matching letter combinations to specific sounds (sound-symbol correspondence)
- memory problems
Technologies (software, hardware and mobile applications) that support DAISY or EPUB 3 with Media Overlays can help people around the world who have learning difficulties due to reading disabilities, dyslexia, illiteracy, or vision loss. Below please find a selection of products and services that may be helpful.
Software DAISY player that you need to download and install on your Windows computer. EasyReader supports a wide range of eBook formats, including DAISY, HTML, TXT, unprotected EPUB, text marked up as MathML. Free trial is available on the Dolphin Computer Access website. Read more about the benefits provided by the EasyReader.
Voice Dream Reader
Voice Dream Reader app supports many file formats including DAISY 3.0 text-based eBooks, DAISY 2.02 audio books, DRM free EPUB, PDF, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, HTML and zipped MP3 files.
Voice Dream Reader is integrated with Bookshare and Gutenberg. It can also load files from Dropbox, Google Drive or iTunes via USB or WiFi.
- Coping With Learning Difficulties: Tips for Parents [Learning Ally]
- Buchknacker: Online Library for Children & Adults with Dyslexia in Switzerland [DAISY Planet]
- Hybrid Reading [Yoleo, Dedicon]
- Load2Learn Tutorials [YouTube channel]
- Digital Books: Learning Ally
- RNIB Bookshare Resources
- Digital Books: Bookshare
- Digital Books: National Library Service
- International Dyslexia Association Fact Sheets
- DAISY for Educators: Best Practices, Tutorials and Case Studies
- Guidelines for Library Services to Persons with Dyslexia [PDF file, IFLA LPD]
- Assistive Technology Tools: Reading [Great! Schools]
Last update: October 10th, 2016