Mathematics Markup in DAISY

Forums: 

Folks:
We are doing software development for Braille transcribers who have to work with NIMAS files, which (as you know) use the DAISY format.  We need to know the correct application of superscript tags (and subscripts) to do complex mathematical terms and expressions such as "e to the power x squared."  This math expression is a base term with a superscript that itself has a superscript.  I have a guess based on the comments in dtbook-2005-3.dtd, and it is as follows: 

e<sup>x<sup>2</sup></sup>

Here is a more complex example,  "e to the power x squared minus one".  How would this be rendered? Like this?

e<sup>x<sup>2</sup> - 1</sup>

Now if we assume the character "x" in the example above has a subscript, would "x" in the example above be followed by <sub>i</sub> and then the rest of the example exactly as given?  Or would that be ambiguous?  i.e., how do we know the superscript that follows is a superscript on "x" and not a superscript on the subscript "i"?

Thanks in advance for an authoritative answer on this problem.

Regards,

Dana Winikates

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

And is there a written source for more information and examples on math markup in DAISY files?

Within the NIMAS working group, MathML has been the recommendation for many years now. There are many examples provided in the Structure Guidelines and the sections on Math in particular. http://www.daisy.org/z3986/structure/SG-DAISY3/part2-math.html