Do footnotes need to be continuous?

Forums: 

Hello,
I am converting print books into text only DAISY and I would like to ask if footnotes need to be numbered continuously or their numbering can restart at chapters. The reason I am asking is that I would like to preserve footnote numbering as it appears in print but save as DAISY changes it.

Footnote 1
It starts with zero(!) instead of 1
the corresponding note appears as

and it is numbered as 01

Footnote 111 (different chapter)
Consequently, when the print restarts the numbering is looks like this

785 being the continuous numbering starting from zero

How can I fix this?
If I try to edit the xml file, can I just replace any wrong or double number with a single right one? Will it work?

Is this a bug that will eventually be fixed?

Thank you in advance

Vasiliki Mela
Librarian
Panteion University Athens

Dear Vasiliki, Currently you cannot use custom numbering for the footnotes with Save As DAISY. This feature may or may not be added in the next release of Save As DAISY which has not been announced as yet.

You can manually edit the footnote reference numbers in the XML file. While doing so, make sure you do not change the IDs, otherwise the links will break.

I am producing below an example of what can be done.

The footnote reference looks like this - <noteref idref="#footnote-0" class="Footnote">0</noteref>

And the footnote text is-<note id="footnote-0" class="Footnote">0This is the explanation of the highlighted term</note>

In the above code "0" may be replaced with any other number. When replaced by "1" it will look like this.

<noteref idref="#footnote-0" class="Footnote">1</noteref> <note id="footnote-0" class="Footnote">1 This is the explanation of the highlighted term</note>

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Prashant

Dear Prashant,
thank you for your immediate reply.

When you say custom numbering is not available, I take it numbering of footnotes should be continuous. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Regards
Vasiliki

Yes, the numbering has to be continuous in the document. Even if it is not, it is renumbered by Save As DAISY on translation.

When I translate a book that restarts the footnote numbering, I separate the file into chapters and I save to DAISY XML from multiple documents. It keeps the restarted numbering.
Also, I prefer to insert footnotes using the built-in WORD footnotes as it doesn't create double numbering.
Still working on the beggining from 0 issue.

Vasiliki

With the valuable help of a colleague I found a simple workaround the bug that caused all footnotes in the xml to start from zero. In the Word doc I insert a blank foot note before all others causing all others to get a plus one value (I only use built in Word Footnotes). I export and delete the first footnote in the xml file.

I hope the bug will get fixed at some point.

Vasiliki

Hello Prashant,

Does footnote numbering has to be continuous by DAISY specification, or this is how Save-As-Daisy behaves? I understand that the user will be confused if there are multiple footnotes "1" in the footnotes' list (as Vasiliki proposed), but how else can you keep a relation between the book-printed footnote number and the DAISY footnote number?

Best,
Gerasimos

Dear gerasimos, I don't think there is anything in the DAISY specifications that does not allow keeping the footnote numbers same as the print publication. At present there is a limitation/bug in save As DAISY which forces footnote numbering to start from 0 and renumbers subsequent footnotes. Prashant

Thank you for the reply. I do not know whether you are the most appropriate person to ask, but as we have include Save-As-Daisy plugin in our library Daisy production process, I would like to ask you whether the plugin is under active development. Should we expect such problems to be addressed in due future or should we consider starting source code modifications by ourselves? From what I see, the latest release of this plug-in is about 2 years old.

Thank you,
Gerasimos

Dear Gerasimos,

Save as DAISY is not under active development right now. There may or may not be a future release. I am not the right person to confirm this.

I suggest that you should also seriously consider EPUB3 as one of your output formats.

There is a lot of activity here and we can expect more EPUB3 readers and authoring tools soon.

Thanks,

Prashant