Narrator languages

Forums: 

I keep getting the following warning when using Pipeline Narrator:

TTs for xml:lang=fi not found, trying to use a default voice WARNING

My Win default voice is a Finnish voice and at the moment this suits me well but in the near future I'm planning to produce books in other languages, too. So where do I set the the TTS voices for different languages? There might be sections of different languages inside the books, so it isn't enough to set the Win default voice before running Pipeline Narrator.

Päivi

On Windows the Pipeline will use the TTS voice configured by default in the Windows Control Panel, no matter what xml:lang value is set in the DTBook. The warning output is here irrelevant (no voice is particularly configured for Finnish because all languages use the default Windows voice).

If you need to use a TTS voice for a different language, the only way is currently to change the Windows default settings beforehand. Mixed-language books are unfortunately not supported yet on Windows.

Improving the TTS voice / language configuration is amongst our objectives for the next major version of the Pipeline, for which there is however no precise roadmap yet.

HTH,
Romain

Hi Romain,

thanks for quick response! We'll have to settle then with changing the Win default TTS according to the language of the book.

You mentioned this is the case in Windows. Is there some other solution in e.g. Linux?

Regards,
Päivi

Quote:
Is there some other solution in e.g. Linux?

Yes, the Pipeline is also available on Mac and Linux. On Linux, the Narrator script is configured by default to use the ESpeak TTS and supports multiple languages (including Finnish) even in a mixed-language DTBook.

See the Narrator script documentation for more info.

HTH,
Romain

This was a very important piece of information. We'll probably be using Pipeline on Linux in the future.

I have also made localisation into Finnish for Narrator. Would it be worthwhile to insert the edited files to the official version of Pipeline?

Päivi

psuhonen wrote:
I have also made localisation into Finnish for Narrator. Would it be worthwhile to insert the edited files to the official version of Pipeline?

This would be most welcome :) You can email me the files at romain_deltour(at)yahoo.fr

Thanks!
Romain.

How can i customized daisy to Arabic language support . Please advice me

Regards,
Manivasagan