Steps for creating a Simple (TOC only) DTB with Dolphin Publisher
This document explains briefly the steps involved in creating a DAISY Table of Contents only book using DOLPHIN PUBLISHER, the DAISY authoring tool from Dolphin Computer Access. Please visit the Tools & Services area on the DAISY website for more information on Dolphin Publisher.
For details on any of the steps mentioned below, you may refer to the in-built help manual in Dolphin Publisher.
Step 1. Setup the project
- Open Dolphin Publisher, click FILE and then click NEW PROJECT or press CTRL + N.
- Select SIMPLE project.
- Now type the TITLE of the book.
- Select or create a folder for saving this project.
- Click GENERATE button.
Step 2. Create the structure in the TOC view
- Click the OPEN TABLE OF CONTENTS icon at the top of the window or press F4.
- Now in this window, create new headings for the chapters and sub-sections in the book and give them proper LEVEL (H1, H2 etc.). For inserting new headings use the toolbar icon or just press CTRL+SHIFT+N. For changing the level(hierarchy) use CTRL+LEFT ARROW or CTRL+RIGHT ARROW keys.
- You can rename(F2) or delete(DEL) headings in this window if required.
- When done close the TOC view(F4.)
Step 3. Recording options and Audio Calibration
- Open the RECORDING OPTIONS dialog from the OPTIONS menu or just press CTRL + R.
- On the AUDIO FORMAT page, choose the desired format for recording. Generally, sampling rate of 44100 and MONO channel is preferred.
- On the PHRASE DETECTION page, select “use phrase detection” and do not adjust the other values at this time. They will be set automatically after audio calibration.
- Click OK to close recording options dialog box.
- Now open the AUDIO CALIBRATION wizard from the OPTIONS menu.
- Follow the instructions given on the screen.
- Check the level of the microphone volume on the peak meter shown on the screen and adjust if it is either very high or very low.
- The AUDIO CALIBRATION will finish and focus will be back to Dolphin Publisher.
Step 4. Record each heading
- Locate the first heading in the book and identify the text that you should record in this heading.
- Now select the first heading in Dolphin Publisher, click the RECORD BUTTON (Red button near the bottom of the window or press CTRL+F5) and start reading into the microphone.
- When finished recording the text of this heading, click the STOP button or press F5.
- Repeat this process for each heading.
Step 5. Edit the recording
- Now review the recording in each heading. Use the PLAY, REWIND and FORWARD buttons and check the phrases. Using the keyboard, you can press F5 for PLAY/PAUSE, ALT+LEFT ARROW for previous phrase and ALT+RIGHT ARROW for next phrase.
- Each phrase should generally contain one sentence. If the audio markers are not at the appropriate places, you can insert new markers (CTRL + S) or delete markers (CTRL + J). These commands are also available after doing a right mouse click in the wave form.
Step 6. Page Marking
- Make sure that the page announcements are contained in a separate phrase. Now click in the beginning of such phrases and put a page mark by pressing CTRL + 1 or by going to the EDIT menu > SKIPPABLE CONTENTS > INSERT NEW > PAGE.
- You will be prompted to type the page number, Type it and press ADD button.
Step 7. Clean up
- After completing editing, do a CLEAN UP to remove unwanted files from the project. Select CLEAN UP AUDIO from the TOOLS menu or simply press F7 to clean up the whole project.
- You will get a confirmation message and after that the clean up process will complete. If the project is big in size, this process may take several minutes.
Step 8. Meta data
- Select MODIFY META DATA from the PROJECT menu or simply press CTRL + M. Fill up all the items marked in red. These are mandatory. Carefully enter the date in the required format. Identifier is the number assigned by the library for the book. If this number is not available, this item can be skipped.
- Click the NCC page at the top of the window and enter the NARRATOR (name of the person recording the book).
- Click OK when finished.
- You can test this book in AMIS or any other player to confirm that all navigation including headings, pages and phrases are working properly. Click TOOLS menu>LOAD BOOK IN QA PLAYER or simply press CTRL+E to launch the DAISY Player.
Step 9. Build project
- Select BUILD PROJECT from the PROJECT menu or simply press F9.
- On the validation page, under meta data choose REQUIRED.
- On the ENCODING page, select desired format of MP3.
- At the bottom of the window, under BUILD DISTRIBUTION AS select DAISY 2.02 AUDIO NCC ONLY or DAISY 3 – 2005 AudioNCX.
- Now click START BUTTON. After completion of the process, you will be shown a report.
Step 10. Test playback in a DAISY Player
- Test the newly created MP3 folder of this book in Easy Reader(the default player with Dolphin Publisher) or any other DAISY playback software before distribution.
- The folder containing the MP3 version of the book should be used for distribution. All the files inside this folder should be put on the CD or the distribution media.
Text is available under the terms of the DAISY Consortium Intellectual Property Policy, Licensing, and Working Group Process.